1.7.11

How to make a bow brooch


Currently, I have an obsession with bows.  In my opinion, there is nothing that can't be femmed up with a twee little bow.  Bows on hats and cardigans, bows on shoes, bows on heads and around necks - they just make everything sweet.  Even the most terrifying thing in existence doesn't look nearly as scary if it's sporting a lovely bow.

See what I mean?  How cute!  I want to buy him an ice-cream.   But first I'm going to show you how to make a bow brooch.
This is an awesome little scrap-buster project that makes a great gift for girls or cyborgs of any age, and is super-easy-quick to make.  All you need is a scrap of fabric of your choice (probably a piece about 20cm square or so would do the trick), a 2 centimetre brooch finding (make sure it has a safety catch if your brooch is a gift for a child) and my pattern sheet (click to size, then save to your computer and print!)
Please forgive me the image-heavy tutorial.  For some reason, the English language escapes me this week and considering it is the only language I know, this is somewhat concerning.   I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the pictures make things clearer.

Obviously the first step is to cut out your fabric pieces.
Fold the top piece in half lengthways right sides together and stitch (with a 0.5 cm seam allowance, which is the same throughout).
Turn right side out and press so that the seam runs along the centre of the piece.
 
Fold in half width ways with that lengthwise seam facing outwards, and sew the short seam.
 
Turn piece inside out again and press so that the short seam runs down the centre of the piece.
 
Pin tail pieces right sides together and sew around the edges, leaving the opening as marked on pattern pieces.  Clip corners.
 
Turn inside out, being sure to poke out the corners as best you can, then press.  Whip-stitch opening shut.  While you're at it, fold centre piece in half lengthwise right sides together and sew long edge.  Turn inside out and press, so that, again, the seam runs along the centre length.  Your three pieces should look like this (seams at back) -
Find the centre of the top piece and pinch a pleat, like so.  Handsew pleat to secure.
Handstitch one short end of the centre piece to the back of bow towards the bottom, with the  piece seam facing inwards.  Wrap the centre around the top piece (not too tightly, but not loose either - you have to pull the tail piece through yet), turn in raw edge and sew to secure.  The top part of your bow is done and your almost there.

Pin a safety pin through one corner of the long side of the tail piece, and then, pass the safety pin under the centre piece at the back of your bow (the back of it being where you just hand-stitched the centre piece seam.   Pull the tail through until it is even on both sides.
 Pull your tail piece about so that it is a shape that is pleasing to you and secure its shape by making small stitches here and there at the back of the bow wherever need to retain its shape (this is needed more on slippery fabrics, cotton fabrics hold quite well without).  Give it a press if you want (but it's not really necessary).  Stitch your brooch finding to the back, and you're all done.
 
If you're not into brooches, use your bows for other things.  I have LOTS of ideas for bows which don't involve Terminator robots or other scary things, which I will show you in future posts.  I'll be back.  Hasta la vista, baby.

7 comments:

  1. Cute bows, great tutorial! New follower from MBC, have a great weekend! You can find me at
    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable bows! I'll have to try to make one. New follower from MBC. Would love a visit and a follow back: http://blog.writerslairbooks.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that picture is soo hilarious! These are super cute too by the way

    -audrielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Thanks a lot for your tutorial! I can't wait to give it a try! :)
    Have a great week ahead!
    Best wishes, LS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. I'm off to make some for my 3 new neices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh LOve it! Daugter has been hassling me to make her headbands, these bows will be perfect for that. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, i just loved it.
    I´m from Brazil and i want to thank you for sharing it w/ us. visit my blog: doceslacosbysybelle.blogspot.com and take a look at my craft works.

    kisses, Si.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...