3.1.15

Clownie romper.



More projects from the scrap pile.  I ran up this little romper from a piece of floral fabric I had left over from this dress  that I made some time ago.  There wasn't quite enough to make something for Sophie, but still a substantial enough remnant to make something.  I'm not sure who this is for yet, but I'm sure somebody I know will be having a baby at some point in the future, or know of someone else who will.  Not me, though.  No way!  That horse has well and truly and gladly bolted.  Phew.

My obsession with all things circus-like is an influence here.  The clownish frill around the neck is made of a grey and white cotton seersucker, bound with self bias and left with a raw hem.  I was sort of experimenting at the start  and didn't have the inclination for time consuming niceties such as hemming ruffles.   But as I was making my way through it, I was having fun watching it all come together, and did in fact start paying more attention to detail toward the end.  Too late for the neck ruffle, though.



It buttons at the back with two vintage buttons  (the top one is concealed by the frill), and opens at the crotch with snap fasteners.  The type you hammer on. That was a first for me, and I was surprised how easy it was.  Noisy though.  I was hammering away and my husband yelled, "What ARE you doing in there??"  "I'm making a baby romper!  Derrrrrrrr...!"




This is such a light little suit, it would be just fine on it's own in the summer months, but I can see it worn over tights in the cooler weather and topped with a cosy cardigan and cute knit hat.  I really wish I had a little baby to put this on and photograph - awwww,  too cute!  I really miss being able to dress Sophie in teeny, sweet clothes (not that she's ever been that teeny).


 And I really love this autumn-ish floral and am quite disappointed that I'm almost completely out of it.   I possibly have enough left to make a doll and some scrunchies, but that's it.  That's sad.

10 comments:

  1. So gorgeous.You should sell it and others as I'd buy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been a dream of mine for ages! Sophie starts kindergarten this February and I'm hoping to set up a little online shop later in the year. I'm looking forward to having one or two days that I can totally devote to sewing (even though I will miss my girl :( ) x

      Delete
  2. This is so stunning! I love it! Did you draw a pattern up for this? Is it for sale?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleesha! I drew this up with the help of a little dress pattern I used when Sophie was born, and I joined it up with a bloomers pattern I drafted, and then sort of worked in the other details like the neck ruffle and the crotch opening. I know how to draft patterns, but I don't really enjoy it, and I find if I can sort of adjust and stick together two or three (or more!) patterns using the features I'm after and redraw it on tracing paper and it's good to go. I'm pretty certain there are probably commercial patterns available for this type of romper, but they are so expensive, aren't they? Hey! Maybe I *should* draw patterns up and sell them! Hmmm, you've got me thinking now...x

      Delete
  3. This is just gorgeous! What pattern did you use? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for your lovely comment, Sophie! I used two patterns, one for a newborn dress with a high yoke (which I *think* came from an Enid Gilchrist book), and a pattern for a pair of bloomers I drafted before my Sophie was born. I had more time, then, and a lot more patience and a lot less distractions! Now I try to use the patterns I have on hand and slice and dice them about to come up with the shapes I'm after. It's certainly more fun than drafting them up yourself (although once Sophie starts kindy, I might just give that another go ;) ) x

      Delete
  4. Can I possibly get this pattern from you? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm sorry, I don't sell patterns at the moment (though I might have to research how to do it and try and make one up ;) ) This is a mashup from two patterns that I sliced and stuck together. And I can't believe it was two years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    Is there any way you could tell me the maker and name of the main fabric you used? It is beautiful, and I'd love to make a similar romper for my little girl. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faith! I wish I could help you, but this was a lucky find at my local fabric store (which at the time, had a terrible selection of fabrics - I was surprised to find this one!) In addition, I bought this when my daughter was a baby -she's now nearly seven. It is a very light cotton, it has the same feel as Liberty lawn. The ruffle is 100% seersucker cotton. I'm sorry I can't be of any more help. If I do spy the floral fabric anywhere, I'll take note of the maker, and if I find it anywhere on the internet, I'll let you know (I would actually love to get more myself!) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...